About the Sustainability Program
Through collaboration and ongoing communication, the Sustainability Program has developed a shared vision for “greening” Balboa Park. It continues to advance solutions that will help protect Park resources and strengthen economic viability, while enhancing visitor experience and enjoyment. The Balboa Park Sustainability Program is dedicated to the demonstration, measurement and promotion of sustainability best practices within the Partnership’s 28 member organizations in Balboa Park, San Diego.
Established in 2008, the award-winning Sustainability Program is a collaborative effort between the Balboa Park Cultural Partnership, the City of San Diego and San Diego Gas & Electric® (SDG&E). This collaboration is supported by an alliance of the Partnership’s members, Balboa Park stakeholders and sustainability experts. Together, we aim to establish Balboa Park as an exemplary model of sustainability and energy efficiency for museums and Parks around the globe. Our Strategic Plan demonstrates how we plan to attain this goal.
These efforts are made possible with thanks to our generous supporters. Learn more about our supporters, like our founding sponsor, SDG&E.
Our Core Initiatives
Develop Balboa Park’s capacity for conservation and sustainability by increasing the education and awareness of staff and visitors. Learn more about how BPCP demonstrates sustainability through:
- Informal Education: Educated over 2,500 participants through Balboa Park workshops and presentations.
- Formal Education: Educated over 5,000 participants through the Balboa Park professional development, workshops, and the Green Impact Guide.
- Sustainability Experiences: Educated over 1,900 participants through Sustainability Walkabouts and the Sustainability Studio.
Read more about Sustainability Literacy.
Increase economic and environmental sustainability of our members and Balboa Park. Learn more about how BPCP measures sustainability with:
- Organizational Efficiencies: Reduce waste through the Excess Capacity Program, E-Waste Program, and Collective Business Operations.
- Sustainable Operations: Reduced energy use by 8,756,281 kWh and 121,570 therms in partnership with SDG&E.
Read more about Sustainability in Practice.
Strengthen the visibility, voice, and leadership of sustainability in Balboa Park. Learn more about how BPCP promotes sustainability through:
- Community Outreach: Educated over 2,500 community members through no-cost educational programs.
- Community Partnerships: Inspire future leaders through university partnerships.
Read more about Sustainability Leadership.