The Balboa Park Cultural Partnership is seeking a full-time, non-exempt Coordinator, Programs and Special Events. The successful candidate will have two or more years of experience in a program and marketing setting, is engaged in the arts and culture community, and is knowledgeable of IDEA (inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility) practices and how they apply to program design. This candidate will also have attention to detail and a knack for storytelling, the ability to welcome others and build community, and be an advocate for arts and culture.
The Coordinator, Programs and Special Events will be responsible for executing the One Park – One Team program as planned by the Operations Director which includes special events, workshops, symposiums, and regular programs. They will take initiative and build strong partnerships with Balboa Park organizations and their team members. All programs, special events, and communication efforts will ensure Park team members feel a sense of community and collaboration.
The full-time, non-exempt Coordinator, Programs and Special Events will report directly to the Director, Operations. Duties include:
Events and Programs
- Coordinate the preparation for and during on-site events and workshops; including coordinating with vendors, making arrangements with host sites, managing RSVP lists on Eventbrite and Google Forms, creating name tags and sign-in sheets, procuring materials in a timely manner, and managing registration.
- Solicit in-kind donations from local catering companies, restaurants, and businesses.
- Coordinate with Park and/or partner organizations to plan and execute get-togethers and workshops for Balboa Park employees and volunteers.
- Write event and workshop descriptions, create images, and draft Eventbrite pages.
- Add event listings to website, newsletters, and social media.
- Track attendance and provide follow-up write ups on programs and special events to be shared online.
- Oversee and coordinate Park-wide networking and Parkwide ambassador programs.
- Provide support to the Parkwide IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility) Working Group by hosting regular meetings, taking and distributing notes, identifying collaborative opportunities, and sharing resources.
- Attend affinity group meetings and build relationships with Park team members.
- Track expenses on a regular basis.
- Source content and work with partners to share announcements, news, and perks.
- Draft newsletters and e-blasts for Parkwide distribution and manage the newsletter database.
- Conduct interviews and write profiles of Balboa Park employees and volunteers.
- Manage social media pages and provide analytics and analysis of social media engagement and provide informed suggestions for ways to improve.
- Create and distribute surveys and follow up emails at the discretion of the Director.
- Provide feedback to Director on program ideas, team member engagement strategies, and success of One Park – One Team programs.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
A qualified Coordinator, Programs and Special Events will enter the position with two or more years of experience in programs and marketing. They will also have a demonstrated ability in:
- Strong leadership skills including excellent written and verbal communication with high-level interpersonal skills
- Efficient and effective time management skills
- Prioritizing, planning and organization
- Researching solutions and asking questions to ensure accuracy including problem-solving and creative thinking
- Thoughtful and considerate team building approaches to engage team members
- Working as part of a dynamic team and adaptable
- Microsoft Suite, familiarity with WordPress, Eventbrite, Google Drive, and project management systems
- Previous work with arts, science, and culture nonprofits is preferred
- As an ambassador for the “One Park – One Team” philosophy, a positive attitude is a must
Position type: Full-time, 40 hours a week, non-exempt. Weekdays (9am to 5:30pm) and weekends and evenings as needed. Hourly rate is $15.50-$17/hr depending on experience. Balboa Park Cultural Partnership offers a benefits package that includes medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, discounts at select Balboa Park restaurants and shops, and free admission to member museums.
Submit a cover letter describing your experience programs/events/marketing, resume, and short writing sample (all files must be PDF format) via e-mail to email@example.com with “Program Coordinator: [Insert your first initial and last name]” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Position is open until filled.